Re: Off-topic question no LBC

To: tr3driver@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Off-topic question no LBC
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:30:55 EDT
In a message dated 4/20/2005 12:54:08 PM Central Standard Time,
tr3driver@comcast.net writes:
> >I think more apropos is the fact that in spite the much more efficient
> >superhighway systems and more powerful cars our commute times
> >have been increasing
> >since the 40's.
>
> I suspect that's more a function of commute distances increasing than
> reduced speeds.

Which is my whole point.  Mark was trying to draw an analogy between
computers and the real world and the analogy is although computers are faster
than
ever, it still takes as long or longer to accomplish tasks.  This is because
computers are doing things in a much more circuitous manner.  Between the
higher
level languages, object oriented code, firewalls, spellcheckers, etc., word
processing is no faster then it was 10 years ago.  And booting up takes longer.

I can fire up my old DOS box and be word processing in under a minute.  More
like 30 seconds.  My new Dell running 1.3 GHz takes over a minute.

Maybe if I was running LINUX...

Dave