Cut-off switches and alternators

To: "Randy Clark" <grantura@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Cut-off switches and alternators
From: "Tom Walling" <pdqtr6@suscom-maine.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 20:24:06 -0400
I am helping a friend get a TVR Grantura (OK - just for the sake of this list,
drop the middle "V") ready for vintage racing this season.  Almost there, but
that's a topic for another time and another list...

My question is -- if the emergency cut-off switch is employed whilst the
engine is running, is there any damage being done to the alternator (diodes)?
The car does not have a generator, but it has an alternator.

My buddy has begun to obsess about this and if there's no reason to worry, I
want to nip this in the bud.  If there is some danger, how can we
minimize/mitigate/avoid it?

Apparently the method of testing the cut-off at tech inspection is to flip it
as the engine is running.  What ever happened to just asking?