Re: Cut-off switches and alternators

To: "Tom Walling" <pdqtr6@suscom-maine.com>,
Subject: Re: Cut-off switches and alternators
From: emanteno@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 00:24:13 +0000
> My question is -- if the emergency cut-off switch is employed whilst the >
>engine is running, is there any damage being done to the alternator (diodes)?
Your friend needs to acquire the cut off switch that is designed for cars with
alternators. It comes with a little doober (technical term) that the other
switch doesn't include, which is supposed to protect the alternator if you have
to use the switch to shut down the engine.
> Apparently the method of testing the cut-off at tech inspection is to flip it
>as the engine is running. What ever happened to just asking?
I have never had that asked of me at tech inspection. In fact, you can REALLY
piss off a tech inspector by running an unmuffled race engine in the tech shed.
What they usually do, in my experience, is have you turn off the switch while
you are stepping on the brakes, so they can see the lights go off when you do
the switch. They take your word that the cut off will actually kill the engine
(mine will).
Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
63 TR4 red #58 at the Mitty (y'all come on over and say hi)
Highland Park, IL