Re: Off topic....for sure!

To: Dave1massey@cs.com, dmallin@attglobal.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Off topic....for sure!
From: Raymond Hatfield <iron_horse819@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 05:16:45 -0700 (PDT)
--- Dave1massey@cs.com wrote:

> It is also interesting to note that Micro$oft was an early developer of OS2.
> But they had a falling out (clash of egos?  go figure) and IBM took the
> project back.  But you are right.  You can run a windoze application as a
> session under OS2 and if it crashes the session crashes.  Everything else
> continues on unaffected.

I wasn't going to contribute to this, but as a former IBMer I think I can say
this:  OS/2 was jointly developed by IBM and Microsoft until the diaster that
was DOS 4.0, at which time they both took the code and went their separate
ways.  Microsoft developed it into Window NT (and eventually 2000) and IBM
brought out OS/2.  In a bit of irony, IBM brought out OS/2 Warp 6 months ahead
of Windows 95 and was everything MS claimed 95 was supposed to be.
Unfortunately, MS had already cornered the market for PS operating systems and
Warp died and early death.

IBM lost sight of the market(both hardware and software), and in trying to
regain control drove themselves out of it.

Raymond