Re: Off topic....for sure!

To: Dave1massey@cs.com
Subject: Re: Off topic....for sure!
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:44:52 -0400
Dave1massey@cs.com wrote:

> It is also interesting to note that Micro$oft was an early developer of
> OS2.  But they had a falling out (clash of egos?  go figure) and IBM
> took the project back.  But you are right.  You can run a windoze
> application as a session under OS2 and if it crashes the session
> crashes.  Everything else continues on unaffected.
>
> But Micro$oft figured out early that it could sell a bag of manure with
> the right marketing strategy and has adopted the "good enough" approach
> to software development.  Few users (including me) are willing to
> uninstall a working OS in a new computer and install another (at
> additional cost) especially if it is as difficult to install and set up
> as OS2 is.  The same holds true for applications like word processors
> and internet systems.  As long as the software from M$ is "good enough"
> to not piss us off they will retain critical mass.
>
> Dave

Well as far as I know nobody is running OS/2. Last I heard it was in ATM
machines because it could
run 24x7 an not need to be rebooted every so often -- unlike the M$ junk.

All desktops are M$ in IBM. There's just no OS/2 software to speak of. OS/2 is
long dead and buried.

I would disagree however that everything else is M$. From my prospective
there's a lot of serious
computing companies using IBM software like DB2 and WebSphere. There's a fair
amout of Java mind
share in the internet world.

As long as it's simple, smallish, not complicated and cheap, M$ is what is
used. Beyond that, M$
usage drops off pretty quickly. There's lots of internet servers out there
running Linux, Unix and
AIX. It's just that all the complicated stuff is hidden away behind the
corporate doors.

I do all my Java development on desktop Windows and then deploy to the
production systems whatever
they are. Almost never Windows systems -- usually AIX, Unix or Linux servers.

Don Malling