RE: TR3A door removal

To: "charles dubois" <duboistr3@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: TR3A door removal
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 17:07:34 -0700
> I want to remove the doors from my TR3 and am hoping
> there is a trick or tool to make it easier.

I use a tool somewhat similar to :
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46978
except mine looks more like the ones at :
http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=2622

> I was hoping there is some way to remove the
> pins in the hinges.

There are two different types of hinges.  The later ones definitely do not come
apart at the pins.  Your car should have the earlier ones, which might come
apart, but IMO you're better off leaving them assembled if you can.  The pins
have splines that are pressed into the brass, and the brass may distort if you
start trying to push the pins out.

On my car, I could get significantly more room to work by removing the pin that
holds the leash to the A-post, which allows the door to open farther.  But you
have to be careful not to open the door *too* far, or it will hit the front
fender (wing).  If all else failed, I suppose you could always remove the fender

Also, soaking in PB Blaster definitely seems to help in many cases.  Optimum is
probably to redose every few days and add a few more hammer blows to set up
vibration, but I've had rusted fasteners come apart easily after just being
doused once and left to sit for a few weeks.  I've got a few things soaking on
my TR3 even now.

Randall