RE: VTR "ET All"

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>, "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: VTR "ET All"
From: "Paige, Dean" <DPaige@ci.santa-rosa.ca.us>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 08:09:21 -0700
You know, I just do not get this internecine squabbling among Triumph owners in
particular and Brit car owners in general. When I and a few others decided we
would like to start a local car club we all readily agreed that we should
exclude no Brit car or Brit car owner from the group. After all the damn cars
have so much in common across the board, with Lucas Prince of Darkness out
there in the lead. Brit cars and owners are birds of a feather regardless of
Marque. And further, on the local level the professionals working on our cars
are not specializing in one type or another. The vast majority are working on
every thing from Bricklins to Rolls.

I find not much more enjoyable than cruising the wine country as one of a
phalanx of 15 to 20+  Brit cars of all stripes. The looks and cheers and
conversation we all generate is intoxicating. And I've never heard a single
member of our group disparage another's vehicle in any way. Some people just
take themselves way too seriously. One of the basic reasons why I will not join
a single Marque group. Way to exclusive for my eclectic attitude. I'll stick to
the Autox group on the net and my club at home and the rest be damned.

Deano

Ah ha!  Now we get to the "Meat" of the issue.  The reason there are
specialty clubs is because VTR is not satisfying the needs of the
members that started their specialty clubs.  This is why NASS (North
American Spitfire Squadron) was started.

Personally, I would love to see only one club that did satisfy
everyone's needs, but I don't see that happening.  It gets back to this
"elitist" issue.  Everyone has his own idea of what the "Best" Triumph
is and whether he cares to realize it or not, it does affect how he
approaches events, articles and other issues as they pertain to their
model versus other models.

So if somebody wants to work toward a magic formula that does away with
that issue, I am all for it.  It would certainly make it a lot less
expensive for all the clubs to be under a single banner and have a
single cost structure than the way it is now.  Plus it would mean that
you only to have to pay dues to a single club.

Cheers,
Joe