RE: Rear brake lock up

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rear brake lock up
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 12:21:04 -0700
> My TR6 is locking the right rear under hard braking.

When you get home after a drive, are either of the rear wheels noticeably
hotter than the other one ?  Careful ... if you've got a problem it could be
hot enough to burn you.

>  I've made up rear SS braided
> lines but will not be able to put them in for a week.  Since I'll
> be bleeding the brakes anyways I'm looking for a heads up.

My guess would be that the left rear is not working as well for some reason.
Could be a failed hose, could be contaminated brake shoes, could be a seized
piston or slave (remember the slave has to be able to move on the backing
plate or the leading shoe won't work, and it's the one that supplies most of
the braking).

But sometimes a dragging brake will work better, so it's possible the
problem is on the right.  Less likely IMO, but possible.

One other thought that I haven't seen mentioned ... if one of the suspension
pivots has "gone away" or there's something broken on the RH side, it might
be that the wheel is getting out of alignment under braking and, in effect,
dragging sideways.  A hard pull to the right under heavy braking was the
primary symptom when one of my TRs ripped a front suspension mount out of
the frame.

Randall