RE: Engine Work

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine Work
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 18:07:06 -0700
> Insert new Cam Bearings.

Be sure he knows the rear bearing is 'special' ... if it gets turned back to
front the rockers won't get oiled.

> Verify that the new crankshaft modified for the uprated rear seal is to
> spec.

Be sure you've got the right spec, it's been revised upwards several times.  And
it's a lot harder to put metal back than to take it off.

> Verify that the Connecting Rod big ends are round.

What about the bushings in the small ends ?  And are they straight ?

> Have I forgotten anything???

Hardening and balancing ?

Timing chain, sprockets and tensioner ?

Cam & lifters ?

Rocker bushings & shaft ?

Not sure why you're having it line-bored, but you'll want to know how much he
moves the bore.  That subtracts from how much to take off the head, but not at a
1:1 ratio.  Unless the number on the side is important to you, I'd suggest
finding another block rather than messing with one that is warped.  If the
bearing saddles are out of line, chances are other things are wrong, too (like
the top of the block).

Oh yeah, be sure to save the bushing for the distributor/oil pump drive.  Last I
heard, they were NLA.

Randall