Re: Two TR Brake ?'s - Dust & Pressure

To: pdonnel1@san.rr.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Two TR Brake ?'s - Dust & Pressure
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 08:33:58 EDT
In a message dated 6/29/2005 12:08:59 AM Central Standard Time,
pdonnel1@san.rr.com writes:
> So, heres the questions .....
>
> a.  Should a brake squeal adhesive, such as that used on American
> vehicles (the blue goo), be benificial to reduce the squeal? The manuals
> don't mention anything. Will switching to the "green" pads help the dust
> and thus the squeal problem?

Certainly worth a try.  My TR8 brakes would squeal under way and sometimes
squeal under braking (at a different frequency).  I applied just such a goo and
the underway squeal went away.  The under braking squeal is still there (on
occasion) so it is not a cure-all but it could fix your problem.  Like Randall
said, the dust is not the cause of the squeal but the green pads just may be
less prone to squealing.  Let us know if they do.

> b. The pedal travel is probably caused by the calipers/cylinders
> relaxing too far. It probably has an effect in making the squeal as
> well. So, will adding a restrictor cure both problems? Note: the older
> TR configurations have a restrictor at the rear, not the front.

This dreaded caliper piston knock-back has been a prevalent problem in TR6's
(which have very similar if no identical brake parts) but I never noticed it
in my TR6 until after my major overhaul in 1996.  During this overhaul I
switched to silicone brake fluid.  Coincidence?  Perhaps.  But racers have been
fighting this problem for years and have come up with a couple of fixes.  One
fix
I saw was a much beefed-up hub that flexes less.  Another is a different way
to set up the wheel bearings with precision spacers which allow you to crank
the nut down tight.  I have not investigated either of these and cannot
recommend for or against either one.  I've just learned to live with it.  In my
car it
is not a serious issue except in autocrosses.

Cheers

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6