RE: Two TR Brake ?'s - Dust & Pressure

To: pdonnel1@san.rr.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Two TR Brake ?'s - Dust & Pressure
From: "John Herrera" <jrherrera90@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:17:33 -0400
>2. When first starting out after a break, the brake pedal travel is much
>more than after I press it once. During the restoration I replaced the
>brake pipes all around, am running Dot 5 and the system has no restrictor
>(as original). It's a little scary, especially for my wife when she drives
>the car, but for me as well, especially if an emergency stop is needed
>after not using the brakes for awhile, such as traveling long distances.

At the risk of asking the obvious, have you adjusted the rear brakes since
restoration? Have you bled the system? Either worn shoes or air in the fluif
will cause excessive pedal travel. The shoes wear alot when they are new.

I have heard that it is very hard to get all the air out of DOT 5 fluif. You
might think about converting back to Good Ole Castrol. This might cure the
whole problem.

This message has been checked and found to be nearly smartass comment-free.

John H.