Re: [Wedge] TR6 help - off topic

To: ashby@hersheys.com, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Wedge] TR6 help - off topic
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:11:13 EDT
Andrew, I forwarded a copy of your email to the Autox list for their input as
well.

I'm not sure what colors were offered what year but my TR8 started out blue
but now is green without a trace of blue.  Why, because I had the whole thing
stripped.  But if this car has not undergone a frame off restoration that is
not likely.

But the comment about bumper overriders raised a big red flag.  The rubber
overriders were not introduced until 1974.  Further, I'm not sure one could
mount later bumpers on the earlier model cars.  At least not without
transferring
all the bracketry and bracing.

If the car is indeed a later model car it will have many other features that
will identify it as such.  Check the S/N on the engine.  You will find that on
a cast protrusion in the block at the head mating plane near the distributor.
 A 1970 model car will have a number beginning in CC.  A 73 or later car will
have a number beginning with CF.

The CF model engines will have many other differences, some are visually
apparent, others are internal.  The CF engine has a longer intake manifold.
The
CF engine as a dual outlet exhaust manifold.  The CF engine will have (or had)
the Anti-Run-On system and plumbing and the charcoal canister with three ports
on top instead of just two.  If your car has bumper overriders it should also
have the EGR valve.

Interior: do the seats have adjustable head rests?  Do the gauges have
needles pointing up or down?  Do they glow green at night?  Is the courtesy
light at
the aft end of the driveshaft tunnel or in the footwells?

It is quite possible that someone has done a major rebuild on this car using
parts from other cars (perhaps he had a wrecked 70 and got a later model body
donor) and underneath it is mostly a 70 with a few bits from a later model.
But more likely someone had a later model car and titled it as an earlier model
to avoid emissions issues.  If this is the case steer clear away from this
car.

You didn't say where the car is.  Perhaps someone familiar with TR6's can
have a look.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6