Re: [Wedge] TR6 help - off topic

To: ashby@hersheys.com, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Wedge] TR6 help - off topic
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 07:49:48 EDT
In a message dated 7/20/2005 8:02:04 PM Central Standard Time,
ashby@hersheys.com writes:
>     When I got to check it out - then I'll check the rust "zones" and make
> sure their is no Saffron showing.    Also check out the other tags.

When a car is painted the level of detail varies drastically depending on the
guy doing the prep work.  The fast-N-cheap method involves taping over the
stuff you don't want painted.  But the masking lines will show around the items
masked like lamp assemblies.  These types of paint jobs usually have the tell
tail signs of not having door jams, engine bays, floorboards or trunks painted
the same color.  Just the outer surfaces.

A better paint job will invlove removing the chrome and lights and other
stuff that doesn't get painted.  When going to this level many folks will also
paint the door jams and trunk interior.  But look under the carpets.  If they
are
painted check the bolts securing the body to the frame.  Are they painted
too?  If so it was resprayed.  The factory painted the body before the bolts
were
installed.  Also look for overspray on the frame (which should be black).

The ultimate is to take the whole thing apart and when properly done can be
indistinguishable from the factory assembly.

Dave