RE: not specifically triumph, but vintage related

To: wsteinman@pogolaw.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: not specifically triumph, but vintage related
From: CFisher@borgwarner.com
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 13:52:12 -0500
I agree that the story skipped over not only the speed of the offending
Volvo driver, but what contributed to running through the intersection in
the first place, perhaps distracted driving on a cell phone or drinking?

Now in addition to the SUV's which make people sometimes feel too safe and
drive with reckless abandon, I've noticed that sedans are being purposely
styled to give the impression of being equivalent to armored personel
carriers. I'm thinking specifically of those big Chryslers (300s or Magnums
or something?). One problem with this sense of security people get with
their massive vehicles is a lack of concern for what happens to the other
guy who may be driving something more vulnerable, or walking or on a
bicycle.

As far as old hobby cars go, certainly the owners are aware of the relative
lack of protection and generally drive accordingly. My feeling is that my
TR3A is still safer, perhaps significantly, than driving a motorcycle. It is
a similar situation, both are driven mostly for their entertainment value
and it is just accepted that there are safer modes of transportation
available, but the pleasure is worth the calculated risk.

Cheers,
Curt

WWW.essex1.com/people/fishnet/ Spritely Vintage Racing Homepage.
"Racing is life, everything that comes before, or after is just waiting",
Steve McQueen from Le Mans.
"Compared to Road Racing, heroin addiction is like a vague longing for
something salty"