Re: [TR] when to say when on a radiator?

To: dorpaul@negia.nett, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] when to say when on a radiator?
From: MMoore8425@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 20:16:35 EDT
In a message dated 7/7/2006 3:24:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
dorpaul@negia.net writes:

I took  this ebay radiator to a retired radiator man who said that judging
from
it's appearance (rusted shrouding only) and presense of soot that he  thought
it had been thru a fire and therefore he thought 'misrepresented'  when it had
said to be 'good.'   However, by running  water  thru it he found it to be
'not
stopped up'.  He did no other test on  it.

I doubt, by looking at it, that it has been through a fire.

1. The round thermal plate on top comes out if the radiator gets very hot.  I
have seen one of these come out in service.

2. The fins look remarkably good.

Looks to me like a real original .
The problem I have had with getting old radiators successfully  rodded  out
is that the radiator shops I have dealt with claim  the tubes may  come loose
from the fins, causing bad heat transfer.

Best, Mike Moore

===     http://www.vtr.org