Re: [TR] replaCING BRAKE LINES

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] replaCING BRAKE LINES
From: tr3driver@comcast.net (Randall)
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 15:52:30 +0000
> >Brake lines tend to rot from the inside out, so visible rust MAY be an
> >indication of a weak spot.
> >

> True, only if one fails to periodically (every two years or so) fully
> flush the system, as recommended by every owner's manual (for ANY car)
> that I've ever seen.

Or if one of the previous owners failed to flush.  Those who have owned their
cars from new (and religiously flushed) may have no concern ... but I've never
owned or even worked on a TR that didn't show signs of neglected maintenance.
And we are talking about brake lines with visible rust.

Even my 95 Buick says to flush the brake system (although ISTR it's every 3
years rather than every 2, probably because the MC reservoir is sealed against
atmosphere).  Given that DOT 3/4 will absorb water and salt right through the
soft brake lines, I think that's good advice.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org