Re: [TR] replaCING BRAKE LINES

To: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>,
Subject: Re: [TR] replaCING BRAKE LINES
From: tr3driver@comcast.net (Randall)
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 16:07:12 +0000
> I would point out that I have emergency brakes of a very similar design
> (operates via hand lever just behind the shift lever, steel cable,
> operates a set of brake shoes) in my BMW 635.  Also on my 2001 Z3.  And
> these work great.

I'm not knocking the effectiveness of the mechanism, the handbrake on my TR3A
can easily lock the rear wheels, which is all you can ask of a brake.  But
especially going down a grade, locking the rear wheels doesn't provide a whole
lot of stopping power.

When I wrecked the Audi, it was only the front hydraulic circuit that had
failed (broken caliper), the rear wheels still had hydraulic brakes.  But as I
discovered later, you could actually drive the car with the rear wheels locked
(it was FWD).  They just acted like skids ...

Audi must have noticed the problem as well, they later went to dual-circuit
front calipers.

Tell you what, Mike, you must at least occasionally take your Z3 up on Angeles
Crest Highway.  Pick a nice downgrade sometime and try stopping with only the
handbrake.  I'll send flowers ...

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org