[TR] radiator acceptable?

To: "TriumphList" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] radiator acceptable?
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 22:02:16 -0400
At what water temp do you start doing harm to the engine?

The reason I ask is that today I installed the radiator I bought on ebay at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4652584000
&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT
  After about 30 minutes at 4000 rpm (with the car up on jack stands) it
climbed up to 230 degrees on the gauge before I shut it off.  Off course, when
I did then I could hear it 'singing' and fuming.
I don't want to do that again!

What prompted me to get another radiator in the first place was that the newly
rebuilt engine got just as hot revved up to 2500 rpm and started leaking.  (No
blipping or 'racing', of course)

The ebay seller said that it had been pressure tested, and sure enough it
didn't seem to leak at 230 degrees.  I'm hoping that at 4000 rpm, newly
rebuilt, and with the car up on jack stands that this list tells me that is
acceptable, however, I doubt it.  I still plan to have it 'rodded' within the
next couple of days.

Thanks,
(Never-Driven-a-Tr)NDaTR Paul Dorsey
60 TR3A