RE: [TR] radiator acceptable?

To: <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] radiator acceptable?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:07:39 -0700
> The reason I ran it that fast was to help brake in the motor, I
> thought we had
> said running it fast was helpful.

I suppose this is the problem with not being more specific ... what was said
was that running it at a fast IDLE would help condition the cam lobes.
"Fast idle" is more like 1200-1500 rpm, not 4000 rpm !

> other to  turn it over once a month.

Personally, I strongly doubt that starting the motor every month (without
driving it) is good for it.  It's virtually impossible to get the oil heated
to operating temperature under these conditions, and cold oil will allow
varnish and acid created by the blowby of a cold start to build up.

If you want a monthly routine to follow while it's being stored, then I
would suggest removing the plugs, adding just a tiny bit more oil to each
cylinder (like a teaspoon or less), and turning the engine a few times by
hand.  Then thread the plugs back in loosely (don't tighten them) and leave
the plug wires off as a reminder that the plugs need to come out again
before trying to start it.

But I doubt it's necessary to do this every month, unless you live in a
particularly hostile environment (heavy dew, salt spray or whatever).
Otherwise, just do it once when you store the engine, and leave it that way.

If you're worried about the battery self-discharging, then a battery
maintainer will be much better for it than having to start the engine.
There are even solar-powered models if you don't have mains power available.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org