Re: [TR] radiator acceptable?

To: dorpaul@negia.net, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] radiator acceptable?
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 07:58:21 EDT
In a message dated 7/9/2006 9:07:03 PM Central Standard Time,
dorpaul@negia.net writes:
> At what water temp do you start doing harm to the engine?
>
> The reason I ask is that today I installed the radiator I bought on ebay at:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&;
> item=4652584000
> &ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT
>   After about 30 minutes at 4000 rpm (with the car up on jack stands) it
> climbed up to 230 degrees on the gauge before I shut it off.  Off course,
> when
> I did then I could hear it 'singing' and fuming.
> I don't want to do that again!

230 degrees on a pressurized system filled with an antifreeze solution should
be just fine.  Many new cars run in the 200+ degree range by design.  But one
has to ask what was the purpose of running the engine at 4000 RPM for 30
minutes?

Other questions are what was the ambient temperature and did you have any
external fans to move air across the radiator?  The radiator works by
transferring heat from the coolant to the air.  In adequate air flow is a
perennial
problem with early TR's and testing the cooling ability of a radiator in a
stationary situation (and probably in a garage) is not a fair test.  How will
it work
once on the road?  I suspect it will work quite nicely.

> What prompted me to get another radiator in the first place was that the
> newly
> rebuilt engine got just as hot revved up to 2500 rpm and started leaking.
> (No
> blipping or 'racing', of course)
>
> The ebay seller said that it had been pressure tested, and sure enough it
> didn't seem to leak at 230 degrees.  I'm hoping that at 4000 rpm, newly
> rebuilt, and with the car up on jack stands that this list tells me that is
> acceptable, however, I doubt it.  I still plan to have it 'rodded' within
> the
> next couple of days.

I'd be tempted to see how it does on the road.  It may be fine without
'rodding' and why disturb a good radiator just for a precautionary rodding that
it
may not even need.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org