RE: [TR] Hard starting TR3

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Hard starting TR3
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:08:37 -0700
> However, now it is
> extremely difficult to start after sitting a few days. Demands
> that I use the
> starting spray. When I do, it fires immediatly and will slowly
> warm up. Any
> subsequnt starts are no problem, until it again sits acouple days.

Adding to what Michael said, check to be sure that pulling the 'choke' knob
causes both jets to be lowered, and by roughly the same amount.  You should
be able to get at least 1/4" or so at each jet.

If that's not the problem, then I would guess that your float bowls are
leaking a bit, which is a very common problem with the TR3 carbs.  Try using
the priming lever on the fuel pump to fill the bowls first, the next time
you try to start it after sitting for a few days, and see if that makes a
difference.  If it helps, then for sure the fuel is getting out of the bowls
somehow, most likely either through the seals where the bowl mounts to the
carb, or the lower jet gland.

I have seen this even on "freshly rebuilt" carbs.  Sometimes even when I was
the rebuilder ... but the "professionals" make mistakes too.  I now check
for leaks at every tune-up, by touching the bottom of the jet and the bottom
of the nut/bolt that holds the float bowl to the carb.  If my finger comes
away wet, it's leaking again.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org