RE: [TR] Timing Chain Noise

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Timing Chain Noise
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 22:13:42 -0700
> Sorry, all,  but the only TR3A engine I've heard is mine.  I don't have the
> sound deadner on the timing chain cover.  What exactly is the sound like in
> such cases, so I'm sure I'm recognizing it for what it is?

Timing chain noise is a kind of high pitched (compared to most other things)
whine that changes with engine speed.  Unless there is something wrong, or your
hearing is a lot better than mine, you'll never hear it with the car assembled.

But Skip's idea of using a long screwdriver as a stethoscope is a good one.
You'll hear all sorts of noises you've never heard before.  This is an "old
time" mechanic's diagnosis technique.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org