Re: [TR] Thinking of Getting a Modern Car

To: tr3driver@ca.rr.com
Subject: Re: [TR] Thinking of Getting a Modern Car
From: BearTranserv@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 12:34:18 EST
In a message dated 12/18/2006 4:22:33 PM Mountain Standard Time,
tr3driver@ca.rr.com writes:

Of  course it's my opinion that the labor unions are more to blame  than
management ... which maybe only shows there is plenty of blame to go  around.

I think it's both. I worked for a multi billion dollar transportation
company a few years ago and when the dock workers in LA signed union cards I
was
part of a team sent in to stop the unionization effort.

We interviewed a couple of hundred workers and the biggest gripe they had
was that duing peak season it was hard to work over eight hours without a
break.  No kidding.

I've worked on union docks too, and productivity is lowered to the level of
the slowest worker there.  Most of the unionized freight companies have
disappeared.  UPS is the largest exception, but since they are the largest
single
block of workers in the Teamsters now, the union pretty much cooperates  with
the wishes of management, and management is willing to pay well for
productivity.

Robert B.  Houston
Texan in New Mexico

63 TR4

As he stared at her ample  bosom, he daydreamed of the dual Stromberg
carburetors in his vintage  Triumph, highly functional yet pleasingly formed,
perched prominently on top of  the intake manifold, aching for experienced
hands, the small knurled caps of the  oil dampeners begging to be inspected and
adjusted as
described in chapter  seven of the shop manual.
Dan McKay

===     http://www.vtr.org