Re: [TR] Thinking of Getting a Modern Car

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Thinking of Getting a Modern Car
From: "Jerry Van Vlack" <jerryvv@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 19:02:07 -0500
> Of course it's my opinion that the labor unions are more to blame than
> management ... which maybe only shows there is plenty of blame to go
around.

> Randall

I am not a fan of Unions either and have been in a few contests to avoid a
plant from unionizing but a Union never gets something unless Management
gives it. Years ago US Management would agree to most requests to let the
good times roll and just raise the prices to cover the costs rather than to
look for ways to do things better and take costs out of the process.

I've worked in the automobile industry for several years and before that was
associated with the steel industry so I have some smokestack experience.

The foreign car companies came at the whole system much differently. In the
beginning they didn't make very good products. That changed in a hurry when
they started listening to the voice of the customers and made ever
increasingly better products that the customers wanted. The US car companies
got caught in the backfield and took a long time to catch up. I believe they
are there quality wise for the most part but the perception of the consumer
hasn't changed yet. That and the designers can't seem to make interesting
products (with the exception of Chrysler in my opinion) and have made their
real money from trucks and SUV's. With the fuel prices ramping up they are
getting left behind again.

I do now believe that Management needs to change the way they think and
begin to really listen to the voice of the customers. They then need to
remove the impediments for change in their organizations or continue the
decline of their market share. They need to find a way to convince the
customer as well.

I was a die in the wool consumer of US cars until I bought a new 1986
Pontiac Sunbird for my wife. What an experience that was. POS is the best
description I can think of.
The fleet is now all foreign with the exception of a GMC Sonoma Pickup
bought used. The jury is still out on it.

JVV

===     http://www.vtr.org