[TR] Re: TRA Judging was Carpet Mats

To: standardtriumph@btinternet.com
Subject: [TR] Re: TRA Judging was Carpet Mats
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 20:09:28 EST
In a message dated 1/16/2007 6:28:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
standardtriumph@btinternet.com writes:

The Monte Carlo Rally is an excellent example  of cars that won outstanding
prizes in the Concours after driving several  thousand miles against the clock
and in appalling winter conditions. Many got  through without a scratch but
were only permitted a wash and polish before  going into the Concours paddock.
don't think that sort of thing happens now  and for that reason I feel that
Concours is an inappropriate  name.

John,
That is an interesting story. I would love to be competing in that era  with
either an original or factory prepared car.  My goal would  be to drive the
wheels off it during daylight and then spend all nite washing  the heck out of
it for a Concours Presentation. I am not the only one.

I am going to say that sort of thing does happen here in the US.   Maybe not
on such a grand scale but very similar in theory. Take for  instance the
Annual VTR Ken Richardson's Award.  This very prestigious  award is given to
the
TR2 or TR3 that competes and places well in Autocross as  well as Judged
Concours with the TSD Rally used as a tie breaker.  There is  the VTR Dennis
Reily/Bill Wood Award which uses the same scoring but is for TR7  & TR8's. Then
there
is the VTR Carolina's Cup.  This is awarded to the  car that participates and
does well in all the competitive driving events,  Autocross, TSD & Fun Rally,
Gymkana and even includes the  Photo,  Model & Craft Contests along with
Judged  Concours.  Points are given for participation and placement in  each
Event.

I and other Listers are the very proud winners of some these VTR  Awards.
Although I have fallen a little short to stiff competition on the  Ken
Richardson
and Dennis Reily/Bill Wood awards I have two Carolina's Cups on  the Mantle.
My goal is to go for the Ken Richardson Cup this year, although  I must put
the TR3B back together to have a shot at it.  If I do you can  bet that it will
be Prepared, Polished and Driven to the Max. So I say "The  Glory Still
Exists!"  All be it on a smaller scale.

As far as the term "Concours d'Elegance", I agree.  I understand that  it is
French for the "Gathering of the Elegant".  It does  not mean Gathering of the
Original!  Please note  Dave Massey's Post.  VTR now offers two Modified
Judged Concours  Classes which do not require originality. TRA has a Modified
judged class  too. At VTR all of the competitive awards are available to these
types of cars  if they compete in the driving events.

In conclusion, I have heard the stories of what really came off the line in
England.  Great care is taken to recognize that at VTR and TRA.  I  have
always said one cannot simply go by the strict guidelines set forth in  SPC's
or
reference books.  There is always going to be exceptions and  variances.
Usually one can tell where to draw the line.  I still say  that a white top on
a US
TR6 is questionable but who am I to say it didn't come  that way?  Therefore,
It's all Good.

Cheers John,
Darrell

===     http://www.vtr.org