RE: [TR] What compression ratio would you choose

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] What compression ratio would you choose
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 06:47:32 -0800
> Now that you mention it, someone told me about that.  They said all the cars
> were recalled and the water injection was removed and the cars were detuned

Interesting.  I hadn't heard that, and I used to be on a mailserve for owners of
those cars.

> He ascribed the problem to owners
> failing to keep the water reservoir filled.

The reservoir was equipped with a sensor, that was supposed to disable the boost
entirely when the level was low.  Sensor failures were one of the problems ...

> And what does one do in freezing weather?  Mix in ethanol?  That would lower
> the freezing point but it would also add fuel to the mix and with a
> carburettor setup difficult to compensate for.

GM dealt with that by specifying that only "GM boost fluid" was to be used,
which (so I've heard) was available only by special order from an Oldsmobile
dealer.  The formula of the boost fluid was a secret (but likely just ethanol or
methanol and water, plus some dye and whatnot).  The boost fluid only flowed
when the manifold pressure went positive anyway, so I doubt they worried about
the mixture going rich from the extra fuel ... rich mixture is a good idea under
boost anyway as it helps hold down combustion temperatures.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org