Re: [TR] Non-TR Building a Garage - do's and don'ts advice

To: ccsimonsen@gmail.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Non-TR Building a Garage - do's and don'ts advice
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 21:43:36 EST
In a message dated 2/15/2007 7:13:06 PM Central Standard Time,
ccsimonsen@gmail.com writes:
> Single door or double?  26 ft wide enough?  I will need plenty of power -
> welder, air compressor and beer fridge.
>
> Should I put a big steel beam to support my chain hoist for pulling engines
> or are cherry pickers a better device?
>
> Can you share with me some of the must haves for a garage and some of the
> don't bothers?
>
> I was thinking about a shower - but the contractor told me he bet I wouldn't
> use it. He said for the money I should not put a bathrrom out there, either.

I helped a friend build his garage-mahal which is 24 X 50.  26 X 32 will fit
6 cars easily so all your friends will be over (once).  26 X 32 is plenty big
for 3 cars, a bunch of shelves of storage, a big workbench and plenty of elbow
room.

And a beer fridge.

A beam is nice but it limits you to working under the beam.  A cherry picker
is as cheap as a come-along and a trolley (which would give you one dimension
of freedom) and more flexible.  But a come-along hanging from a beam 12 ft
overhead will lift things much higher than a cherry picker.

But so will a four post lift.

Lots of options.

And skip the bathroom.  Plant bushes.

Dave