Re: [TR] Non-TR Building a Garage - do's and don'ts advice

To: terryrs@adelphia.net, ccsimonsen@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TR] Non-TR Building a Garage - do's and don'ts advice
From: acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:23:43 -0500
 Socket-systems.com did not work. But http://www.socketsys.com/ did.

 Aaron
    Aaron Cropley
 71 TR6 (Throttle Body Injection!)
 http://www.triumphowners.com/108
 Topsham, Maine
 -----Original Message-----
 From: terryrs@adelphia.net
 To: ccsimonsen@gmail.com
 Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
 Sent: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 9:00 PM

  ---- Chris Simonsen <ccsimonsen@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm finally going to do it.  I'm going to refinance my house and pull some
> money out to build a detached garage. Any refinance advice - I'd welcome any
> advice from the collective knowledge - please post me directly.

Chris,

Funny you should mention this.  I'm checking out subcontractors to help me
build
a garage this summer (Been 18 years, and the house will be paid off in the
summer, so why not) to house my '59 TR3A over the winter.  (Ahah, obligatory TR
content!)

There's a place called socket-systems.com that sells metal hardware that will
let you put a building together with 6x6's, as if it were post and beam, using
steel joints.  I've spent the past couple of weekends felling white pines
outside so our neighbor can saw them up into beams and 2 x 6's.

I'm building a pit into the floor...nothing big, just enough to step into so I
don't have to lay on my back anymore for some applications.  Also have solar
south exposure, so am building a greenhouse section to extend the two week
growing season here in New Hampshire.  Am going with decra metal roofing from
one of the following:  www.kasselandirons.com or www.metalworksroof.com.  50
year guarantee on these, so I don't have to reroof when I'm doddering and
drooling on a fixed income.  Also, am putting in an indoor basketball hoop.  If
we pull all the cars out, my kids can shoot hoops, because the walls on these
beam garages can be 14 feet high even before the rafter beams start.

Big enough to start the '3A, and drive it five feet even in January!

Terry Smith, '59 Tr3A TS 58667
New Hampshire

AOL Mail and more.

===     http://www.vtr.org