Re: [TR] Non-TR Building a Garage - do's and don'ts advice

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Non-TR Building a Garage - do's and don'ts advice
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 11:03:44 EST
>From someone that had owned / operated a auto repair shop for 10 years and
currently has a 60 X 60 X 22ft high home shop:

Build as large as possible, you will soon find even big isn't big enough.

Use the budget to build the shell / floor / breaker panel / water supply but
minimal / non existent wiring / plumbing / lighting past that.  A breaker box
with one outlet is all that is required to pass electrical inspection, the
rest you can do later.

You can always up grade electrical, air, plumbing later as funds allow but
making the garage larger after it is built is a huge expense.    For example, a
small air compressor plugs into the breaker panel and a hose stretched across
the floor gets the job done in the short term.

12 ft tall is a bit short for a lift, try for 14.

A I beam and trolley across the shop is a wonderful thing.  In my old shop I
situated the work bench under a beam.  This allowed engines / transmissions to
be hoisted onto the bench without strain.  A beam also comes in handy when
taking items out of the back of a truck.

During the initial build, make provisions for shelves along the walls that
hang from the ceiling.  These can be 2 x 4 wood to store lightish but bulky
items such as doors and wheels.  Even if the shelves are not installed at time
of
build having the roof trusses reinforced at time of build will add minimal
cost. ( talk to the builder. )

One 14 X 14 door is enough for my garage because it has lots of floor space.
A smaller garage needs more doors for access.  I'd say 2 doors would be good,
keep at least one door 4 ft off the end wall as this will allow for items to
be stored allong the wall.  One door needs to have a clear shot to the lift,
the other can be a occasional use door.  Store items that have wheels in front
of the second door this way you can still have access and not lose wall space.

There is probably more but you get the idea.
Harold

===     http://www.vtr.org