RE: [TR] TR3 Numbers

To: "'William Beecher'" <wbeech@flash.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3 Numbers
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 22:20:51 -0700
> Where can I check on the various numbers to see what is what?
>  Is there a db on the web somewhere?

Check out
http://www.vtr.org/TR3/index.shtml

> I am not sure if this is a TR3 or TR3a,

TS22014 was the first 3A so yours is a fairly early TR3A built in early
1958.  It should have the "wide mouth" grille with the turn signals mounted
on the grille (but of course it's possible someone has swapped the front
apron for a TR3 component).

> the previous owner
> acknowledged the newer engine but did not know if it was from
> a newer TR3 or TR4.

TS71465E would also be a (late) TR3A.  TR3B and TR4 had a different prefix.

>  I am not sure what the differences are,
> but when I go hunting parts it will be good to know what to ask for.

Since most of the sub-assemblies will interchange to some extent, knowing
the commission number doesn't necessarily tell you what parts you need.

For example, TS71465E would have had a different type starter than TS31314E
(BTW, the 'E' suffix indicates an engine number instead of a comission
number).  However, the late starter won't fit with the early gearbox, so
most likely the flywheel has been changed to accept the early starter.  Or,
the later gearbox may have been installed along with the later engine and a
later starter.  Or even a later gearbox with an early starter ... the moral
is that the only way to know which starter you need is to look at the one
you already have (and even that isn't always definitive, some people don't
know the starter has to match the flywheel and install mis-matched
components).

> Additionally, there is a number about the battery box: EB
> 30861, what is this for?

It's a separate number that the factory used to track the body before it was
assembled to a chassis (to become a car).  AFAIK it's useless, the factory
did not record them and they don't seem to have any definite relation to
commission number.

Randall - Western USA

58 TR3A TS39781LO :(now totaled :(
56 TR3  TS13571L next project
71 Stag LE1473L waiting for engine rebuild
71 Stag LE2014LBW daily driver wanna-be
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project for sale
57 TR3 TS21731L rusting quietly 2000 miles away

===     http://www.vtr.org