Re: [TR] TR3 Numbers

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Numbers
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 12:58:02 -0700
John Macartney wrote:

> Let's get the history (so important for many enthusiasts) right? Such
> an action as you describe was highly unlikely and very improbable. ...
> Quite apart from making engines to go in the cars, the company
> produced, there was a substantial additional business in the supply of
> engines...

John, thanks as always for the wonderful factory perspective. And
apologies if I'm being terribly dense. Are you saying the reason Triumph
engine numbers don't track with body numbers is that engines were
supplied to car production, spares, and special requirements -- while
all incrementing the same engine indentification number?

So suppose my TR4 comm # CT5018LO came with engine # CT5155E. If next
the factory made a TR4 (CT5019LO) for the Royal Marines, it might have
received engine CT5156E and their spare engine CT5157E. After that,
CT5020L might get engine CT5158E -- with the commission number 2 greater
than mine but the engine number 3 greater than mine? Over thousands of
cars, that adds up.

I'm not saying the Marines drove TR4's, of course, but hoping to
clarify. It sounds like the simple reason that commission numbers and
engine numbers don't line up is because production supplied more engines
than cars. Is that pretty much right?

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4 x 2 etc.