Re: [TR] Quote, miss quoted?

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Quote, miss quoted?
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 06:39:51 -0700
>> Cosmo: My point is, Example: One person writes something or conveys a
>> message that is miss interpreted & is connected with another person's
>> name or their name. <snip>
>
> Glenn: A prime reason that the Forum structure is much better than the
> email list structure.  IMNSHO, Forums also allow the subject matter to
> be further categorized so information is easier to find...

For me, the categorization of subject matter is the big downside of
forums. I like reading the wide-ranging posts that push right into my
email box every day. From mechanical troubleshooting to road trip
reports, I want the variety. Sure, forums have variety too, all
pre-sorted, but the email list works like my old kitchen radio tuned to
NPR. I make coffee and absorb whatever people are talking about. When I
bought my first working Triumph in 2000, I'd been on the email list for
a year or two. The two breakdowns I faced on the 1100 mile drive home
were both easy to fix thanks to email list discussions I'd read over
coffee. Would I have gone out to find the "old coil fails when hot" and
"nearly full sediment bowl causes loss of power at full throttle over
big bump" threads on a forum, before my road trip? Maybe, maybe not.

And misattribution is relatively rare on this Triumph list, barely a
problem in need of a fix -- though I included a free fix in quotes
above. :) I figure there are forums and email lists, so folks can read
and write where they like. As long as we wave at each other on the road.
Best.

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4 x 2