Re: [TR] 3M vs. bondo?

To: dorpaul@negia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] 3M vs. bondo?
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 17:55:09 EDT
In a message dated 5/19/2007 8:40:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
dorpaul@negia.net writes:
> "What's the finished difference between using 3M Ultrapro Autobody Sealant
> (tan or clear) and bondo?"
>
> I know the 3M stuff comes in a caulking tube or squeeze tube, bondo has to
> be
> properly mixed.  Bondo dries much quicker.  Bondo is cheaper.  While I also
> know that the sealant is applied to a crack or hole, can't bondo do this?
> What I don't know is which is stronger or less likely to be waterproof? Is
> 3M
> superior on rust?  Is there some other distinquishing feature of one over
> the
> other?

The big difference is bondo cures hard, the cailk (or seam sealer) stays
pliable.  This makes the seam sealer more suited for filling cracks that might
flex and bondo more suited for finish surfaces where it can be worked into a
shape and finish desired.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org