Re: [TR] Oil line failure

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Oil line failure
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 16:26:46 +0100
> Has anyone ever heard of a failure in the flex oil line that connects
> the oil pressure gauge?

Yes, though in my case it wasn't a failure of the pipe or joint - but
carelessness on my part. One year into my apprenticeship at Jaguar in 1963,
I spent sometime in the Service Department and was tasked to replace a
defective oil pressure gauge on a 3.8 Mk 2 saloon. Everything went well (or
so I thought) until the customer returned the car three days later in a
state of high dudgeon. He and his wife were attending a Ball one evening and
Mrs. Client was wearing a full length ballgown in white that had cost a
bomb. It wasn't until they arrived at the venue that it was discovered both
footwells and the ample hems of her gown / trousers bottoms of his evening
dress were swimming in Shell 20W/50.
Leak source?
A not-quite-tight-enough joint from the pipe to the gauge and if anyone
knows how much oil a Jaguar XK sump holds (believe me, it's a lot!) it'll be
understood why the customer wasn't too happy.
Took quite a long time before I was tasked with a similar job.

Jonmac

===     http://www.vtr.org