Re: [TR] Distributor help

To: fishplate@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TR] Distributor help
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 14:36:12 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Full-name: McGaheyRx
--===============6474110468839590902==

--part1_2f529.116eac6f.4258209c_boundary

In a message dated 4/9/2015 12:26:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
fishplate@gmail.com writes:

Interesting that he says " I WILL NOT install a  Pertronix in a TR6 and
will do everything in my power to talk you into using  points!!!"

I wonder why?

I asked Jeff @ Advanced Distributors that very same "why" question just
yesterday because I saw it on the website and thought this represented a new
position for him.
here is his response:

"RFI noise from plugs wires causes a misfire and I see it on the dyno.
Put in points, gain power. Its a repetitive issue I see with insanely
great regularity.
Jeff"

It so happens that I own a chassis dyno and literally less than an hour ago
 had a customer TR6 on the dyno with a distributor rebuild by Advanced
Distributors with a Pertronix ignitor in it. The car makes really good power
and  has no miss anywhere in the power band and has a nearly flat air/fuel
curve.  Time is money around here, so there is no way I'm going to put points
in this  distributor to test Jeff's claim - this car runs great, so its going
home with  the pertronix in it.  We have had many TR6s on this dyno - only
a few  with Pertronix in them, but I have seen no evidence of misfire in any
of them

There are many "experts" in our hobby. Some may be wrong, but none are in
doubt.  ;-)

Cheers,
Jack Mc
--part1_2f529.116eac6f.4258209c_boundary

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUS-ASCII" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 9.00.8112.16633"></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 10pt" id=3Dr=
ole_body=20
bottomMargin=3D7 leftMargin=3D7 rightMargin=3D7 topMargin=3D7><FONT id=3Dr=
ole_document=20
color=3D#000000 size=3D2 face=3DArial>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>In a message dated 4/9/2015 12:26:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,=20
fishplate@gmail.com writes:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px"=
><FONT=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" color=3D#000000 size=3D2 face=3D=
Arial>
  <DIV class=3Dgmail_extra>Interesting that he says "&nbsp;I WILL NOT inst=
all a=20
  Pertronix in a TR6 and will do everything in my power to talk you into=
 using=20
  points!!!"</DIV>
  <DIV class=3Dgmail_extra><BR></DIV>
  <DIV class=3Dgmail_extra>I wonder why?</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I asked Jeff @ Advanced Distributors that very same "why" question ju=
st=20
yesterday because I saw it on the website and thought this represented a=
 new=20
position for him.</DIV>
<DIV>here is his response:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"RFI noise from plugs wires causes a misfire and I see it on the dyno=
.=20
<BR>Put in points, gain power. Its a repetitive issue I see with insanely=
=20
<BR>great regularity.<BR>Jeff"</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>It so happens that I own a chassis dyno and literally less than an ho=
ur ago=20
had a customer TR6 on the dyno with a distributor rebuild by Advanced=20
Distributors with a Pertronix ignitor in it. The car makes really good pow=
er and=20
has no miss anywhere in the power band and has a nearly flat air/fuel curv=
e.=20
Time is money around here, so there is no way I'm going to put points in=
 this=20
distributor to test Jeff's claim - this car runs great, so its going home=
 with=20
the pertronix in it.&nbsp;&nbsp;We have had many TR6s on this dyno - only=
 a few=20
with Pertronix in them, but I have seen no evidence of misfire in any of=
 them=20
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>There are many "experts" in our hobby. Some may be wrong, but none ar=
e in=20
doubt.&nbsp; ;-)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Cheers,</DIV>