[TR] Vibration at Speed

To: Truiumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Vibration at Speed
From: Bob Rochlin <r_rochlin@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 23:13:13 +0000

--_4b726254-ed9b-4071-837c-9da516322a0c_

Hi Everyone=2C     Over the summer I got a new set of Michelins for my TR6.=
 The old tires were 15 years old and were causing some shimmy vibration as =
well as being well past safe.  This was in connection with getting my wire =
wheels straightened and trued.  The wires guy=2C New England Wire Wheel=2C =
mounted and balanced the tires with a Snap-on static balancer . When I got =
the wheels back on the car I went out for a ride and felt a definite vibrat=
ion between 65 and 75 MPH.  I concluded that the wheels needed to be rebala=
nced with a dynamic balancer.  I found a shop who could balance the tires c=
orrectly and had them rebalanced.  The tires were little better=2C but ther=
e was still a pronounced vibration in the seat and body at 65 to 75 MPH.  I=
 brought the tires back to the tire shop and they graciously first checked =
the tire balance and then rebalanced them.  They said that the balance was =
of about a 1/4 oz. =2C and that two of the tires seemed to be a very slight=
ly out of round.  I mount those tire on the rear=2C but again the same prob=
lem.      I've moved the tires from front to back thinking if the offending=
 tires were on the front wheels the vibration would be through the steering=
 wheel and not the frame.  No joy.  My thought is that there is something i=
n the driveline causing the vibration=2C perhaps the rear brake drums worn =
out of balance.  The drive shaft was balanced 5 to 6 years back.  Over the =
years i've replaced all the universal joints.  As far as I can tell the rea=
r drums are original to the car=2C as are the half shafts.      Before I st=
art pulling the driveline apart I thought I see If anyone has had a similar=
 problem of a suggestion of where to go next.  I'd appreciate the input.   =
 Bob    72'TR6                                    =

--_4b726254-ed9b-4071-837c-9da516322a0c_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
p=3B &nbsp=3BOver the summer I got a new set of Michelins for my TR6. The o=
ld tires were 15 years old and were causing some shimmy vibration as well a=
s being well past safe. &nbsp=3BThis was in connection with getting my wire=
 wheels straightened and trued. &nbsp=3BThe wires guy=2C New England Wire W=
heel=2C mounted and balanced the tires with a Snap-on static balancer . Whe=
n I got the wheels back on the car I went out for a ride and felt a definit=
e vibration between 65 and 75 MPH. &nbsp=3BI concluded that the wheels need=
ed to be rebalanced with a dynamic balancer. &nbsp=3BI found a shop who cou=
ld balance the tires correctly and had them rebalanced. &nbsp=3BThe tires w=
ere little better=2C but there was still a pronounced vibration in the seat=
 and body at 65 to 75 MPH. &nbsp=3BI brought the tires back to the tire sho=
p and they graciously first checked the tire balance and then rebalanced th=
em. &nbsp=3BThey said that the balance was of about a 1/4 oz. =2C and that =
two of the tires seemed to be a very slightly out of round. &nbsp=3BI mount=
 those tire on the rear=2C but again the same problem. &nbsp=3B</div><div>&=
nbsp=3B &nbsp=3B I've moved the tires from front to back thinking if the of=
fending tires were on the front wheels the vibration would be through the s=
teering wheel and not the frame. &nbsp=3BNo joy. &nbsp=3BMy thought is that=
 there is something in the driveline causing the vibration=2C perhaps the r=
ear brake drums worn out of balance. &nbsp=3BThe drive shaft was balanced 5=
 to 6 years back. &nbsp=3BOver the years i've replaced all the universal jo=
ints. &nbsp=3BAs far as I can tell the rear drums are original to the car=
=2C as are the half shafts. &nbsp=3B</div><div>&nbsp=3B &nbsp=3B Before I s=
tart pulling the driveline apart I thought I see If anyone has had a simila=
r problem of a suggestion of where to go next. &nbsp=3BI'd appreciate the i=
iv>                                       </div></body>

--_4b726254-ed9b-4071-837c-9da516322a0c_--

--===============3174812613303091209==

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============3174812613303091209==--