Re: [TR] TR3 gearbox oil leak

To: "'Randall'" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 gearbox oil leak
From: "Jonas Payne" <jpaynepbr@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 10:45:59 -0800
I haven't had any luck with permatex's RTV specifically designed for gear
oil either.

I rebuilt 3 transmissions at the same time ignorant to the fact that the
standard stuff doesn't work with gear oil (not the product's fault, wrong
application and therefore my stupidity).

I rebuilt them again using the stuff specifically formulated for gear oil,
and within 6 months, they all failed.  All mating surfaces were surgically
clean, so I can't blame the wrong application or sloppy workmanship in the
2nd case.

The only reason I bring it up is that I'm reasonably certain that there are
some folks out there who have 1) either made the same mistake or 2) will
make the same mistake in the future.

I have also had opportunity to re-do a lot of "professional" work where
supposedly competent mechanics are ignorant to the aforementioned
applications / problems and like to use RTV as an all purpose "goop" on
everything from fuel systems and drive lines to weather stripping.

I concur with your Hylomar recommendation.  I now use hylomar and / or an
RTV product called "moto seal", which are working to great effect.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting Services, LLC
702.882.6711