Re: [TR] TR3 gearbox oil leak

To: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 gearbox oil leak
From: ptegler <ptegler@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2015 22:04:07 -0500
Cc: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Joe's been rebuilding o/ds with specific clearances in the pumps....
configured for 30wt.
Shear specs/additives for gear oil mess with the bypass valve for the
pump and seals he uses.

My Triumph J and D o/ds have been running the oem spec'ed Hypoy 90 for
100's of thousands of miles without issue.
Yes I rebuild my own and know what the pressures obtained are. ..and yes
I set my shift hubs on the high side of the spec.  :-)

Yet in my MGs with a Laycock LH type o/ds I've always run the spec'ed
straight 30wt .
OBie now has 225K miles on that o/d without issue.

30wt straight and 80 wt gear are approximately the same viscosity. It's
the shear additives, temperature range and other additives that
differentiate them.
ymmv

ptegler

--