Re: [TR] Electrical Gremlin

To: "'TERRY SMITH'" <terryrs@comcast.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Electrical Gremlin
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 22:53:46 -0700
> Jets centered, float
> bowls have no gas in them,

A typo?  Float bowls should have gas in them, engine won't run without gas.
If the bowls are running dry, you've got a fuel delivery problem.

> So question.  When one has done the Pertronix modification (I
> replaced that too), the generator control is wired
> differently.

Not that I know of.  I installed a Pertronix, had it running for months,
eventually removed it, no changes at all to generator control.  The
Pertronix needs exactly 3 connections on a TR3A, ground through the point
plate (which can be a problem), power from the hot side of the coil, and the
output to the ground side of the coil.

> Second question, I can't really tell from the wiring diagram
> whether the generator or the starter could be stealing power
> from the ignition system.
>
> I'll be back at it tomorrow, but any thoughts?

Instead of replacing everything in sight, try doing some tests.  Temporarily
connect a 12v test light from the coil hot terminal (which should also feed
the Pertronix) to a good ground on the engine.  Start the engine, watch the
light.  It may dim a bit while cranking, but should stay full brightness
once the starter is no longer engaged.  If it dims when the engine dies,
you've proven an electrical problem; which you can now go looking for in a
similar manner.

If the light stays full brightness, though, either the Pertronix is flaking
out, or the problem lies elsewhere.  I would look next at the ground wire
for the point plate, as they flex in service and sometimes break inside the
insulation.

-- Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **