Re: [TR] Electrical Gremlin

To: Greg Lemon <grglmn@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Electrical Gremlin
From: TERRY SMITH <terryrs@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 10:45:21 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

------=_Part_172176_1129324740.1559227522283

Sorry, everyone.  I meant to say the floats themselves have no fuel, meaning no
pinholes causing flooding.

> On May 30, 2019 at 2:29 AM Greg Lemon <grglmn@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     To focus on what Randall said "float bowls have no fuel in them" Car
> won't run without it, do you have a clogged line?  I have had this happen on
> several cars, fuel flows when you turn the car on, whatever is restricting
> (usually chunks or tiny flakes of rust) is drawn to they line intake on the
> tank or other point of restriction and fuel stops, sometimes runs for a few
> minutes, sometimes ten or 15.  You stop for long enough it will start again
> and repeat the cycle.
>
>     Just a thought.
>
>     Greg Lemon
>     TR250
>
>     On Thu, May 30, 2019, 7:58 AM Randall < TR3driver@ca.rr.com
> mailto:TR3driver@ca.rr.com > wrote:
>
>         > >         > Jets centered, float
> >         > bowls have no gas in them,
> >
> >         A typo?  Float bowls should have gas in them, engine won't run
> > without gas.
> >         If the bowls are running dry, you've got a fuel delivery problem.
> >
> >         > So question.  When one has done the Pertronix modification (I
> >         > replaced that too), the generator control is wired
> >         > differently.
> >
> >         Not that I know of.  I installed a Pertronix, had it running for
> > months,
> >         eventually removed it, no changes at all to generator control.  The
> >         Pertronix needs exactly 3 connections on a TR3A, ground through the
> > point
> >         plate (which can be a problem), power from the hot side of the
> > coil, and the
> >         output to the ground side of the coil.
> >
> >         > Second question, I can't really tell from the wiring diagram
> >         > whether the generator or the starter could be stealing power
> >         > from the ignition system.
> >         >
> >         > I'll be back at it tomorrow, but any thoughts?
> >
> >         Instead of replacing everything in sight, try doing some tests.
> > Temporarily
> >         connect a 12v test light from the coil hot terminal (which should
> > also feed
> >         the Pertronix) to a good ground on the engine.  Start the engine,
> > watch the
> >         light.  It may dim a bit while cranking, but should stay full
> > brightness
> >         once the starter is no longer engaged.  If it dims when the engine
> > dies,
> >         you've proven an electrical problem; which you can now go looking
> > for in a
> >         similar manner.
> >
> >         If the light stays full brightness, though, either the Pertronix is
> > flaking
> >         out, or the problem lies elsewhere.  I would look next at the
> > ground wire
> >         for the point plate, as they flex in service and sometimes break
> [...]

<!DOCTYPE html>
</head><body><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sa=
ns-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Sorry, everyone.&#160; I meant to say th=
e floats themselves have no fuel, meaning no pinholes causing flooding.&#16=
0;&#160;</p><blockquote type=3D"cite">On May 30, 2019 at 2:29 AM Greg Lemon=
hat Randall said &#34;float bowls have no fuel in them&#34; Car won&#39;t r=
un without it, do you have a clogged line?&#160; I have had this happen on =
several cars, fuel flows when you turn the car on, whatever is restricting =
(usually chunks or tiny flakes of rust) is drawn to they line intake on the=
 tank or other point of restriction and fuel stops, sometimes runs for a fe=
w minutes, sometimes ten or 15.&#160; You stop for long enough it will star=
gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"ox-ceae52b07b-gmail_attr">On Thu, Ma=
y 30, 2019, 7:58 AM Randall &#60; <a href=3D"mailto:TR3driver@ca.rr.com";>TR=
Float bowls should have gas in them, engine won&#39;t run without gas. <br>=
 If the bowls are running dry, you&#39;ve got a fuel delivery problem. <br>=
 (I <br> &#62; replaced that too), the generator control is wired <br> &#62=
; differently. <br> <br> Not that I know of.&#160; I installed a Pertronix,=
 had it running for months, <br> eventually removed it, no changes at all t=
o generator control.&#160; The <br> Pertronix needs exactly 3 connections o=
n a TR3A, ground through the point <br> plate (which can be a problem), pow=
er from the hot side of the coil, and the <br> output to the ground side of=
 the coil. <br> <br> &#62; Second question, I can&#39;t really tell from th=
e wiring diagram <br> &#62; whether the generator or the starter could be s=
#39;ll be back at it tomorrow, but any thoughts? <br> <br> Instead of repla=
cing everything in sight, try doing some tests.&#160; Temporarily <br> conn=
ect a 12v test light from the coil hot terminal (which should also feed <br=
> the Pertronix) to a good ground on the engine.&#160; Start the engine, wa=
tch the <br> light.&#160; It may dim a bit while cranking, but should stay =
full brightness <br> once the starter is no longer engaged.&#160; If it dim=
s when the engine dies, <br> you&#39;ve proven an electrical problem; which=
t stays full brightness, though, either the Pertronix is flaking <br> out, =
or the problem lies elsewhere.&#160; I would look next at the ground wire <=
br> for the point plate, as they flex in service and sometimes break inside=
riumphs@autox.team.net" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener">triumphs@autox.t=
" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a> <b=
r> Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs"; target=3D"_b=
lank" rel=3D"noopener">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>&#160; <a =