Re: [TR] Electrical Gremlin

Subject: Re: [TR] Electrical Gremlin
From: Greg Lemon <grglmn@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 08:29:48 +0200
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

--00000000000005db9a058a150793

To focus on what Randall said "float bowls have no fuel in them" Car won't
run without it, do you have a clogged line?  I have had this happen on
several cars, fuel flows when you turn the car on, whatever is restricting
(usually chunks or tiny flakes of rust) is drawn to they line intake on the
tank or other point of restriction and fuel stops, sometimes runs for a few
minutes, sometimes ten or 15.  You stop for long enough it will start again
and repeat the cycle.

Just a thought.

Greg Lemon
TR250

On Thu, May 30, 2019, 7:58 AM Randall <TR3driver@ca.rr.com> wrote:

> > Jets centered, float
> > bowls have no gas in them,
>
> A typo?  Float bowls should have gas in them, engine won't run without gas.
> If the bowls are running dry, you've got a fuel delivery problem.
>
> > So question.  When one has done the Pertronix modification (I
> > replaced that too), the generator control is wired
> > differently.
>
> Not that I know of.  I installed a Pertronix, had it running for months,
> eventually removed it, no changes at all to generator control.  The
> Pertronix needs exactly 3 connections on a TR3A, ground through the point
> plate (which can be a problem), power from the hot side of the coil, and
> the
> output to the ground side of the coil.
>
> > Second question, I can't really tell from the wiring diagram
> > whether the generator or the starter could be stealing power
> > from the ignition system.
> >
> > I'll be back at it tomorrow, but any thoughts?
>
> Instead of replacing everything in sight, try doing some tests.
> Temporarily
> connect a 12v test light from the coil hot terminal (which should also feed
> the Pertronix) to a good ground on the engine.  Start the engine, watch the
> light.  It may dim a bit while cranking, but should stay full brightness
> once the starter is no longer engaged.  If it dims when the engine dies,
> you've proven an electrical problem; which you can now go looking for in a
> similar manner.
>
> If the light stays full brightness, though, either the Pertronix is flaking
> out, or the problem lies elsewhere.  I would look next at the ground wire
> for the point plate, as they flex in service and sometimes break inside the
> insulation.
>
> -- Randall
>
> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **

> http://www.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/grglmn@gmail.com

--00000000000005db9a058a150793

uel in them&quot; Car won&#39;t run without it, do you have a clogged line?=
=C2=A0 I have had this happen on several cars, fuel flows when you turn the=
 car on, whatever is restricting (usually chunks or tiny flakes of rust) is=
 drawn to they line intake on the tank or other point of restriction and fu=
el stops, sometimes runs for a few minutes, sometimes ten or 15.=C2=A0 You =
stop for long enough it will start again and repeat the cycle.<div dir=3D"a=
u, May 30, 2019, 7:58 AM Randall &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:TR3driver@ca.rr.com"=
te" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"=
&gt; Jets centered, float <br>
&gt; bowls have no gas in them,<br>
A typo?=C2=A0 Float bowls should have gas in them, engine won&#39;t run wit=
hout gas.<br>
If the bowls are running dry, you&#39;ve got a fuel delivery problem.<br>
&gt; So question.=C2=A0 When one has done the Pertronix modification (I <br=

&gt; replaced that too), the generator control is wired <br>
&gt; differently.<br>
Not that I know of.=C2=A0 I installed a Pertronix, had it running for month=
s,<br>
eventually removed it, no changes at all to generator control.=C2=A0 The<br=

Pertronix needs exactly 3 connections on a TR3A, ground through the point<b=
r>
plate (which can be a problem), power from the hot side of the coil, and th=
e<br>
output to the ground side of the coil.<br>
&gt; Second question, I can&#39;t really tell from the wiring diagram <br>
&gt; whether the generator or the starter could be stealing power <br>
&gt; from the ignition system.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I&#39;ll be back at it tomorrow, but any thoughts?<br>
Instead of replacing everything in sight, try doing some tests.=C2=A0 Tempo=
rarily<br>
connect a 12v test light from the coil hot terminal (which should also feed=
the Pertronix) to a good ground on the engine.=C2=A0 Start the engine, watc=
h the<br>
light.=C2=A0 It may dim a bit while cranking, but should stay full brightne=
ss<br>
once the starter is no longer engaged.=C2=A0 If it dims when the engine die=
s,<br>
you&#39;ve proven an electrical problem; which you can now go looking for i=
n a<br>
similar manner.<br>
If the light stays full brightness, though, either the Pertronix is flaking=
out, or the problem lies elsewhere.=C2=A0 I would look next at the ground w=
ire<br>
for the point plate, as they flex in service and sometimes break inside the=
insulation.<br>
-- Randall<br>
** <a href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"nore=
ferrer">triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **<br>