Re: [TR] TR4 Fuel Delivery Issue & Mod

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 Fuel Delivery Issue & Mod
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 11:37:24 -0700
It's been literally decades since I played with a mechanical pump on my
TR4A (for me, the decision point to convert to electric was when the
shaft came loose and the cam follower fell into the engine), but I
recall that the hard line fittings to the pump are bubble flares - which
means that the seal comes not from the threads, but from the interface
between the flare at the end of the pipe and seat machined into the pump.

So pipe dope and tape aren't going to help you at all.

As to electric pumps, they definitely prefer to push rather than pull.
They also like to be cool. Kas's Comp Prep book indicates that they
factory team mounted the electric pump inside the driver's side rear
wheel well, on the vertical panel of the "rear seat". That's where I
mounted mine, with vibration mounts (and a cut-out switch under the
steering column), and it was easy to patch into the fuel line with two
lengths of rubber hose.

I made a blanking plate for the original fuel pump location, but a lot
of people remove the guts of the pump and let fuel flow through (and if
you have a glass bowl, that lets you see if fuel is flowing).

** triumphs@autox.team.net **