tvr

Re: Red rubber grease

To: "TVR" <tvr@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Red rubber grease
From: "Trevor Judd" <trevor.judd@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 09:50:37 +0100
Hi Richard
I treat this as I would any normal grease. The difference, I understand, is
that it does not rot rubber and will not affect regular brake fluid. (
Comments on compatibility with advanced fluid invited ). I use a good
coating of grease to get the seal onto the piston then remove the surplus
leaving the surface of the seal "wet" to aid assembly. Then I wet the
cylinder with fluid prior to assembly. Putting the piston in the cylinder so
the seal just disappears, I put a good coating on the rest of the piston
before pushing all the way in. I rub grease into the dust cover as I believe
this helps to prevent splits. I make sure the end of the piston has a good
covering of grease to seal the gap between it and the cylinder before
fitting the dust cover to keep out moisture and maintain the lubrication at
that point. A final smear to the outboard end of the piston where the shoe
presses finishes the job.

Cheers
Trevor

1977 2500M