tvr

Re: Red rubber grease

To: tvr@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Red rubber grease
From: breedon@ucdhep.ucdavis.edu
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 15:24:16 -0800
This is what a Land Rover site (www.seniority.co.uk/content/archive/
homehobbies_motoring_offroad_trip_prep_three.html) has to say about
red rubber grease:

"If you plan to be wading the Land Rover for more than one or two
quick shallow stream crossings you should consider replacing the
red rubber grease behind the dust covers of each of your wheel cylinders.
        This is especially true if you have aftermarket ferric metal wheel
         cylinders. A packing of red rubber grease can inhibit water from
        flowing into the wheel cylinder and getting between the cylinder
       bore and piston.</p>
              packing rubber boots, dust covers and lubricating parts likely to
              contact any rubber components. </p>
              only</b>. Repack the space behind the rubber boot with red rubber
              grease. Don't go overboard because the piston needs room to
expand. Then reinstall the boot. There is no need to disassemble
the brakes  of the wheel cylinder to perform this operation. "

I don't mean to imply what is posted on a Land Rover web site is the Gospel, but
I took this to mean that one should pack the inside of the rubber dust cover on
top of the cylinder with grease. However, Dr. John included the following
comment in his helpful reply to my earlier posting:

>>Thus I put none on the piston seal nor the piston, but I did smear
>> it on the inside of the piston dust cover
>
>  why? is that to attract dirt?

I thought the presence of the grease is to improve the seal or catch the dirt
before it gets down inside the cylinder.

There seem to be at least 3 opinions here on where to put the red rubber
grease.  Maybe this is just another mystery about our enigmatic British
cars.

Cheers,
Richard
1974 2500M