tvr

Re: Red rubber grease

To: <tvr@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Red rubber grease
From: "Trevor Judd" <trevor.judd@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 11:30:18 +0100
Following the advice to Richard not to put red grease on the piston I am
interested to know why. It would seem sensible to me that the piston be
lubricated within the cylinder as there is some radial force here. Fluid
will (should) not be present outboard of the seal so grease is appropriate.
On a master cylinder or clutch slave cylinder the contact between the push
rod and piston will need lubricating as will the push rod to dust cover. Red
grease is appropriate here also.

I also use red grease on disc brake callipers as well although sparingly due
to the higher temperatures. As a result I have not so far had a piston stick
or go rusty despite thorough neglect and hard use once fitted.

Opinions please.

Cheers
Trevor

///