Re: More musings on life, RACING,VARA, and now TIRES!!!

To: cannis@smtplink.Coh.ORG
Subject: Re: More musings on life, RACING,VARA, and now TIRES!!!
From: simon@LSIL.COM (Simon Favre)
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 95 13:13:24 PST
Actually, CSRG followed HMSA, almost to the letter. There is apparently
a serious move to go back to a more liberal tire policy, however. Some
candidates for CSRG Board seats are in favor of changing it back. One
area that had heated discussion was Formula Juniors running on Formula
Ford spec tires (there's about 10-15 years difference), as well as
production cars running on 60 series. Asymmetric tread is still not
allowed, but this is also being debated. That's what I meant by low
profile gumball. No slight intended, but the A008RS is a far cry from
what was available in the late 60's. There are other DOT tires
available that fill the bill, though they may not be as sticky. I'm
more curious about where VARA is and where it's going. I may want to
try VARA at some point, as the SCCA Vintage program (SFR) is basically
defunct.

My problem is what to do about Steve Earle. He has basically mandated a
spec tire for my class (Dunlop L204), and I only have one set of
wheels. Another set of Borrani wires could cost me half what I paid for
the whole car! If I have to keep 2 or more sets of tires active, it
could get more expensive than having everybody agree. I agree that for
production cars, the 60 series DOT makes it a lot easier to have decent
tires to run on. The trouble with 60 series is that a lot of smaller
production cars came with real narrow rims. You can't get a 60 series
tire smaller than 185 or 195, depending on diameter. If you want to let
people use 60 series, you also have to allow wider rims, and then you
lose originality. What does VARA say about rim widths?

Actually, I wasn't too happy with the way Sterling Moss conducted
himself at Monterey. Unless he cleans up his act, I would have to
classify him under "Celebrity Whiners." The HMSA tire regs are
available to all members, and in fact were mailed out very early in the
year. He was just ignoring it hoping his celebrity status would get him
past. You didn't see Mark Knopfler or Phil Hill making a fuss about
tires, did you? Sterling also tried a real dangerous move on the
outside in Turn 11, and nothing was said. I give him credit for
realizing his mistake and driving his own car off the course rather
than bend somebody else's sheet metal, but he shouldna' oughta done
it.