Re: More musings on life, RACING,VARA, and now TIRES!!!

To: MHKitchen@aol.com
Subject: Re: More musings on life, RACING,VARA, and now TIRES!!!
From: simon@LSIL.COM (Simon Favre)
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 95 10:46:52 PST
Well Myles, I guess we know where YOU stand. ;=) I have only run in 2
HMSA events, The Wine Country Classic 94 and 95. I applied for Monterey
in 95, but was turned down. So far, I have not run afoul of Steve
Earle's infamous disposition. I did pull off a perfectly good set of
used Goodyear Blue Streaks to have Dunlops for the Wine Country event,
but I sold the set for $100, so it wasn't a total loss. I was
disappointed not getting into Monterey when my car is more rare than
any Lotus Formula Junior. They built hundreds.  My car is singular,
count them, one total. I would still like to do Monterey, if only once,
just to say I've done it. The Wine Country Classic does offer more
track time than the Historics, so I may want to keep that an option.
(At least until these bloody hard compound Dunlops wear out.)

In terms of production cars, I agree. I sent in my CSRG ballot, with
your name checked. I have one concern though. On all the more common
Alfas that are now CSRG elligible, the original rim size was 4.5x15.
You can't get any 60 series tire to fit that rim. The original tire
size was 155-15, with many people running 165-15 on the street. You
cannot get any good tires in this size without spending $$$. The Avon
DOT, or the Goodyear Blue Streak race tires are an option, but they
cost a fortune. I put 6x15 rims on my '67 GTV, and run A509 Yokohamas
in a 195-60/15 size.  This would be a perfectly legal tire but for the
fact that the rim is 1.5 inches wider. 5 and 5.5 inch wide rims are not
generally available. If I could race with a 6" rim width, I would use
AVSi Yokos, or A008RS, but that seems to be bending even the more
generous rules.  What would you do about the rim width question?
Obviously, a car wearing 195-60/VR15 A008RS will have more grip than a
car wearing any 165-SR15 tire. In terms of availability and cost, the
wider stuff is a better way to go, but are we going to allow it?

Simon Favre
Bourgeault Formula Junior #199
simon@lsil.com

P.S. I'll be on vacation all next week, so I won't be answering any
email after today, until Jan.