More musings on life, RACING,VARA, and now TIRES!!!

To: simon@LSIL.COM (Simon Favre), vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: More musings on life, RACING,VARA, and now TIRES!!!
From: "Annis, Casey" <cannis@smtplink.Coh.ORG>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 95 10:25:22 pst
     You bring up an interesting point. My understanding is that there was
     a large discussion about Mr. Earle's tire regulations at this past
     months VMC meeting. As far as I have been able to ascertain, HMSA is
     about the only group around with this restriction. As far as VARA
     running on "low profile, gumballs" this is yet again another
     misconception/exageration (You guys must think we're a real bunch of
     yahoos!). Our tire rule (for production cars only) is that you have to
     run a DOT approved treaded tire of not less than 60 series aspect
     ratio (This includes the Yokohama A008RS series of tires which are DOT
     approved treaded tires). There were two motivating factors for making
     this change. First was that suitable 70 series are becoming very hard
     to find for many production race cars. Also when available they are
     extremely expensive. By changing to the 60 series DOT tire we are able
     to find suitable QUALITY tires for racing in almost any size for
     almost any car at a reasonablr price. This seems to have made everyone
     in our club very happy. Ask Sterling Moss how much he liked HMSA's
     tire regulations when they made him buy new tires for his 23B on the
     first day of qualifying at Monterey last year. I don't have a personal
     problem with the rule, for very old cars I think it makes alot of
     sense, but for our club it just didn't make sense.

     Casey Annis
     Apparent defender of VARA