Re: More musings on life, RACING,VARA, and now TIRES!!!

To: simon@LSIL.COM
Subject: Re: More musings on life, RACING,VARA, and now TIRES!!!
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 23:02:22 -0500
I've been following your discussions with interest.  As you know, I am a
candidate for the CSRG board this year.  I am also a member of VARA, CSRG,
RMVR, and SOVREN, and run 10-14 races a year.

I agree with Casey and VARA's view of tires.  The problem with both CSRG and
HMSA gets more into who are you grouped to run with.  Its not fair for a
Formula Jr, running on reasonaby correct vintage tires to compete against a
Formula Ford running 008rs's.  Its also not fair to require guys like
me(Lotus Cortina)  or Alfa owners who can run 60 series street tires to go
out and buy special, and much more expensive tires to run with CSRG or HMSA.
 I think the solution is to solve the grouping problems, and let people run
whatever tires they feel comfortable with, as long as they meet general
requirements (i.e. no lower than 60 series, no alterations to allow fit,
roughly the same diameter, width, etc.).  This is essentially what VARA has
done.  From my experience (which has included quite a few races with them),
is that it works flawlessly.  I've never heard anybody at a VARA event bitch
about anything, let alone tires.  I've had nothing but a fun time at a well
run, cost effective event (which is what this is all about, isn't it???)

HMSA is another issue completely.  Nothing would make me happier than to see
there be enough competition in terms of quality events from all the West
Coast vintage groups that would put Mr. Earle out of business.  He's treated
me like shit, along with lots of others, who are the very people who have
made him successful by PAYING him lots of money to get little track time, be
subjected to his whims for rules, and then get treated badly on top of it
all.  I could care less what HMSA says or does.  I won't even give him the
satisfaction of buying a ticket to the Monterey Historics any more.  I would
encourage all vintage racers to seriously consider avoiding HMSA events if
you feel you're being treated badly, not getting your money's worth, or
simply have enough other opportunities.

Thoughts/comments encouraged.

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen