Re: Vintage Racing Philosophy

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vintage Racing Philosophy
From: JISBELLJR@mail.utexas.edu (Jim Isbell)
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 09:29:45 -0600
>I'm concerned about the emphasis on racing, or more appropriately, winning.
>There are many people and groups that have the attitude of the Europeans,
>where racing is the name of the game. Thank god for the VSCCA and their
>attitude! Send all the kamakazes to the SCCA or IMSA.

Amen, and Amen.  I just got back from TWS and a week end of Vintage racing.
Actualy my car is not true Vintage as it is a 1979 Lola.  In CVAR we have a
class called Group 4 that is essentualy "race what you brung".  Because my
car is a '79 and not a '74 or earlier I am forced to race in Group 4 rather
than in Group 3 which is all open wheeled racers.

In Group 4  I race with Vetts, Mustangs, Ferraris, Spec Racers, and two Indy
Cars. (The indy cars lapped me on the second lap!)  Also in this group are
all the SCCA types who use the week end for practice.  It is a battle to
stay upright in this group and I dont realy like it.  Saturday I was hit and
knocked off the course by a Spec Racer who tried to pass me and didnt quite
make it.  My little Lola should not be on the track with these hot dogs and
cars as big as the Vetts and Mustangs.

I realise that having a '79 was my own choice, but it is obsolete and I
would like a place top race it without being in fear of my life.

There is of course Group 5 which is "Demonstration Group"  but full out
speed is frowned on in this group as there are some very valuable and sedate
old racers in this group that are just parading around the track.

                                                    Jim

 " Put on your helmet, get into your trench, and shut up!!"

 John Wayne

P.S. Might consider a flame suit under that helmet.